Saints U11s were the visitors to the Compton International Arena on Sunday.
A good crowd was in as Saints won the toss and elected to bowl first. I’m not going to dwell too much on today’s performance as there were some good bits, some developmental bits and plenty of indifferent bits across the board. Saints were missing some of their regular players, but still fielded an excellent team who were too strong for us on the day.
In terms of the good bits:-
1. Will George’s fielding was excellent from start to finish, getting behind the ball and managed a cracking run out with a direct throw;
2. Mohit’s bowling was good again, taking wickets with two balls that belied his ten years of age;
3. The throwing into the stumps was very accurate across the team;
4. With the club shirts, we are undoubtedly one of the smartest teams in the league!
The developmental bits:-
1. Calling by the batsmen – probably the most disappointing of the season. We dithered, we didn’t speak, we stopped and started and had run outs and near misses aplenty;
2. Backing up in the field – too often if the throw was missed, there was no-one behind to support;
3. Fielding using the long barrier – with some exceptions, we want to bend over or stop the ball with our feet rather than get behind the ball.
4. At this stage of the season and for the length of time some have been playing these should be second nature now, so greater concentration and improvement required!
The result was a 57 run defeat, which was a harsh lesson as it was the fundamentals that let us down. We go again next week away to St Crispin’s. Thanks to Charlie for umpiring and George for scoring.